Friday, June 1, 2012

Laugh-iversary

Many years ago, before Craig and I were married, my mother-in-law said, "You can't get a Bortnem male to do something that they don't want to do." When she said this, my immediate reaction was, "Well, you just didn't try hard enough."  It only took me eleven years of marriage and five years of living with TWO Bortnem boys to realize that she was right.

Today is the 11th anniversary of the day that the older Bortnem boy and I got married (which he had to have wanted to do, given his mother's previous advice).  What I remember most about that day  was trying to get through our vows without laughing.  Not that the vows were particularly funny, mind you.  You know my propensity for laughing at inappropriate times?  Well, couple that with the fact that our Judge's name was Philip D Bush (say it out loud....wait for it....yep, that really was his name) and I can tell you that there were a few explosive giggles during our short ceremony.

Flash forward exactly six years later and the bigger Bortnem and I are in the hospital, getting ready to give birth to a junior Bortnem.  Laughing.  This time, it wasn't the fact that I shouldn't be laughing that was contributing to the lightened mood.  We genuinely had fun when Connor was born.  My midwife, the head nurse, Craig and I  were laughing so much that I actually said, "Delivery isn't supposed to be this much fun."

When we talked about how long we've been together a few months ago, I got nostalgic and a little mushy and said, "I love you, Craig."  To that he responded, "I.....eat your baked goods."  Eleven years later and that Bortnem boy still makes me laugh.  But only because he wants to.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment