Thursday, June 14, 2012

Balancing Act

In my daily life, I often fluctuate between being lazy and having OCD.  On days when laziness wins, things like Wearing a Swimsuit Under a Dress Because I Don't Feel Like Putting On a Bra happen.  On days when the OCD rules, I start organizing books on the bookshelf by height, grouped by author, and further grouped by title.  Then there are days when both of my tendencies fight it out.

Yesterday was one of those.

I had a hankering for something that tasted like Oreos, but didn't actually want to purchase Oreos at the store (lazy).  I looked on my favorite recipe site and spent about as much time searching for what I was looking for as it would take to go to the store and come back. Twice.  Searching for an Oreo recipe that didn't include Oreos as an ingredient is like trying to ask someone for a Kleenex without using the word Kleenex.  Wait. There's a way to do that?  I could just say "tissue"? Wow.  

After figuring out that "chocolate sandwich cookie" is code for Oreo, I was headed in the right direction.  I found this recipe  for Soft Chocolate Cookies.  Based on the reviews (another reason I love that site), I knew I had a winner.  The only variation to this recipe that I made was to roll the balls of dough in sugar and to press them with the palm of my hand on to the cookie sheet.

Once the cookies were made, I whipped up a quick batch of buttercream frosting, matched up the cookies according to size (OCD), and added a creamy center.
Voila! Homemade Oreos, I mean, chocolate sandwich cookies.
They were much softer than Oreos and, the best part about them? I didn't have to go to the store to buy them. Just thinking about them now makes me drool. Pass the Kleenex  tissue.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, but I really did LOL when I read this post. Looking forward to seeing you this summer.

    ReplyDelete