Tuesday, August 7, 2012

I Love My Nerdlets II: Attack of the Nerdlets



In recent months, Cara has really taken to reading chapter books.  She often ignores everything around her when her nose is in a book.  Cara's recent love of reading has been sparked by the Warrior series by Erin Hunter.  She's read every single one of these thick chapter books.  She'll actually read anything that Ms. Hunter puts her name on including the Seekers series (about bears instead of cats).

So, when we stopped at the library today, Cara went straight for the H section and came back with two books.  I found it curious that the books were graphic novels, but since they were about cats and had Erin Hunter's name on it, it wasn't all that surprising.

After we finished in the kids' section, we stopped by the music.  Cara pulled a few CDs out, showing me that she got one Glee and two Now That's What I Call Music CDs.  I showed her Lady Gaga and Katy Perry discs, but she just wrinkled her nose at those opting instead for John Denver.

When we were in the movie section, I hear a quiet cheer and am shown two discs while she says, "I LOVE Hayao Miyazaki films!" A minute later and she states, "I have to get this one. I haven't seen Star Wars: Attack of the Clones yet," referring to the second Star Wars movie (or fifth, depending on how you want to look at the sequence).

When we got home and were divvying up our library haul, I found my daughter's collection to be incredibly amusing.  Chock full of nerd-tastic fun.  I am sure that her collection won't win her any popularity contests, but she would pshaw anyone who tried to tell her that any item in her pile was not completely cool.
Add caption
I love that she is still at an age where "I like it, so that means it's cool" hasn't turned into "my friends like it, so that means it's cool".  There is a good chance that it's not just a phase, considering that her mother is more excited about having her bedroom remodel finished so that she can hang her Doctor Who/Van Gogh poster on the wall than about having her own closet space again.  And that's totally cool with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment